Lamb with spinach
1 1/2lb lamb
3/4 x 1/4-in piece of fresh ginger, peeled
2 plump garlic cloves
1-2 green chilies
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
7oz spinach leaves
1/4 cup oil
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin power
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon salt
1. Soak the lam in warm for 15 minutes to lighten the color.
2. Puree the ginger, garlic and green chilies in a blender. Whisk the yogurt and add to the ginger garlic puree, together with the 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder.
3. Marinate the lamb in this mixture for at least 1 hour, longer if possible. Mean while, puree the spinach, adding 1/3 cup water.
4. Heat the oil in a cooking pot with the cinnamon or bay leaf, cardamoms and cloves. When the oil is really hot and the cinnamon leaf begins to fry, add the onions. Fry for 15 minutes over a low to moderate heat until deep brown.
5. Add the coriander power and sauté for 2 minutes, string continuously, Add the 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder and after 10 seconds add a little water. Allow the spices to cook.
6. Add the meat and its marinade, stir well and cook over a moderate heat for 10minutes, until the yogurt is absorbed. Sauté the meat for 3 minutes, string continuously, then add the tomatoes and tomato paste and cook for a couple of minutes, Add 1/4 cup hot water and 3/4 teaspoon of the salt. Turn the heat to low, cover with a lid and leave to simmer, When the meat is almost done, add the puree spinach, taste for salt and mix well
Cook for 5 minutes, uncovered. When ready to serve, sprinkle with a little nutmeg powder and add a knob of butter if liked.